Wednesday, 15 October 2014

3 more Christmas cards

Here are three more Christmas card, this time they are pretty much the same just with subtle variations.

The die I have used is the Cottage Cutz Nativity ornament.

The first two are pretty much the same layout, but I have just altered the colour of the nativity ornament and the ribbons and sentiments.

This one I cut the ornament out of black card to look like a silhouette and then backed it with a piece of card I had sponged distress inks on.   I used mustard seed, tumbled glass and salty ocean.  The holly sprigs are the Marianne Creatables Holly die LR0244 and the embossing folder is the Craft Two Christmas ornament. The sentiment is the Cheery Lynn Merry Christmas sentiment but I trimmed off the snowflakes.  

This one is the same configuration, but I have cut the ornament out twice.  One in white and one in black.  I was just going to do it in white only, but I felt it didn't stand out from the background, so I cut the second ornament out in black glued it to the back of the ornament, once I had glued on the background.  It gives it a shadow effect.  I also raised it up with some foam tape.  The background and sentiment are done with distress inks, mustard seed, spiced marmalade and fired brick.  

This last one I left off the holly sprig and bow and kept it much simpler.  I did the ornament differently (was an accident, as I forgot to put the distress background on before gluing on the black ornament to make the shadow) So instead it was glued on behind the white and black ornaments.  I rather like this effect.  This one the background was done with mustard seed, spun sugar and Victorian velvet.  

I think this is a really nice ornament die, the detail is amazing.  I think I might have a go at cutting it out in quite a few colours and then piece the different parts of Mary and Joseph and the manger, star, bow etc.  

Christmas ornament cards

I have been making some Christmas cards with a set of Christmas Ornaments called "3 Lacy ornaments" by the Paper Artist company

Each one I tried to use them in a different way.  
The first is a very simple card.  I made a base card and put a piece of Christmas Holly paper on to the base.  Next I cut a piece of white card narrower than the width of the base card.  Overhanging the edge of this, and towards the bottom I cut out one of the ornaments so that I was left with a aperture, the shape of the ornament.  I then raised this on Foam tape so that it was raised up above the Holly paper.  I also added a thin gold strip down the left hand side just to lift the plainness a little.  I then cut out another ornament with gold mirror board and inset it into the aperture.  Finally some red ribbon and a bow.

The next one I used the two other ornaments in the set, I cut out one of each from a scrap piece of card, and a sprig of holly with the Marianne creatables Holly die LR0244 and lightly sponged the background with Tim Holtz distressed ink "mowed lawn".  

I then cut two of each ornament, one in silver glitter card, and one in red mirror card.  I popped out all the little pieces into a box lid.  I stuck some silver thread to the back of each ornament and then glued the ornament onto the background.  I threaded the silver thread over the top of the background piece of card and stuck that down at the back.  I then went through and glued in all the little pieces from one ornament into the alternative colour, so that they each had a contrast.  This mean that I had two sets of ornaments, so I was able to make two of these cards.  

Finally some silver thread bows at the top and a sentiment which was stamped with versamark ink and then embossed with a red glitter embossing powder, and then cut out with a frame die.  The background was glued onto a matt of red mirror board and then onto a white card base.   

This final one was done with the two larger ornament dies, which I cut out of white card, then inked them with versamark ink and then embossed them with a pearlized cream embossing powder.  I also did the same with the sentiment which is the Cheery Lynn Merry Christmas sentiment, but it came with a snowflake on the M and the C, but I didn't want it, so I trimmed that off.

The green designer paper was stuck on some gold mirror card and then stuck to a white card base. The music is a photocopy of printable that I got from pinterest, which I then tore around the edge and distressed it with some brown ink.  The holly sprig is from the same ornament set and I popped on some glitter balls for the berries.  

All three cards are quite different, but with one set of dies.