Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Saturday 18 April 2015

Vintage Rose Birthday cards

I haven't posted cards for quite a while, I haven't actually been making much in the way of cards.  I have been doing other crafts, I have been having a go at doing some mixed media canvases, which I have loved, and it has been a great break, and I have come back to card making zinging with ideas.  

I have been feeling like getting into a bit more stamping, as I have moved away from it lately, and do a lot more die cutting.  A few months ago I purchased the stamp set called Vintage roses by Altenew.  This is a stamp set where you build up the rose in layers using a progression of inkpads from a light shade to a deeper shade.  Now I don't have many inkpads, and here in New Zealand there are not a lot of choices in things like the shadow inks and pigment inks in colours.  A only ones that seem to be available are the Tim Holz distress inks or just the black stamp pads in various different brands and versamark, or I can buy the Brilliance ink pads but they only seem to be available in pearlised colours which don't seem to be suitable for this method.  Anyway I did manage to put together a selection of pinks and mauves, but I have struggled to find yellows and blues in the right shades to do these roses.  I will keep hunting and trying to come up with some.  

Now I also have to say, I didn't find it very easy at first, doing the stamps on top of each other, and getting them lined up, I kept throwing attempts away, until I managed to do some I was happy with.  There are some great you tube videos to watch on others using them, which were very helpful, as there were some that did them in a different order, so eventually I found a method that worked for me.  Another thing I seemed to do quite often was I would somehow get ink somewhere else on the card I was doing my arrangement with. I think it was from my acrylic blocks, as I only have about 4 blocks and some of them were quite big, so not very suitable for doing this method.  So for those ones that I had got ink somewhere else on the white card, I have had to strategically place some sequins or have had to cut them out and mount them on another piece of card.  Anyway, I got some I was happy with.  

So here is two cards I have made with a selection of pinks to plum, and mauve to purple.  


This one I did an arrangement of roses in different sizes on one piece of card, and then stamped some more randomly on a strip of scrap card, so that I could create this border.  Then some strategically places sequins and clear gems to bling it up a little.


This one I have done two strips of the roses and leaves stamped randomly, and then I have cut a central panel with two of the spellbinder A2 scalloped border dies, a piece of pink ribbon going through the centre, and finally the sentiment done on the middle die of the Spellbinders Radiant Rectangles die set  A few pearls to finish it off.  It has made such a pretty card.  

I love this stamp set, I love all things vintage and flowery, so this combines it perfectly.  I would love to get some more of the Altenew stamp sets, as they are a little bit different, but it is so expensive to have them sent from America, the international postage is very prohibitive.  I will have to wait and see if I get some money for my birthday, and I might treat my self to another one!  Here's hoping!!

3 comments:

Brenda W. said...

Sounds like a very complicated and time consuming process, but you got 2 really beautiful cards out of it. maybe will get easier with practice?

Carol Rossouw said...

These are absolutely stunning Helen!

Deb at Wild Warehouse said...

These stamped cards are really lovely, fabulous results despite the difficulties that you encountered, I haven't come across the Altenew stamps that you used but will be on the lookout for them now.

Post a Comment